Injured on the Job?

If you are injured on the job, inform your supervisor immediately.  If your injury requires treatment from a medical professional, contact Human Resources for a Workers' Compensation Claim Packet.

Employees who experience work-related injuries or illnesses are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits under Washington Industrial Insurance laws. Whatcom County has been approved by the State to be self-insured, which means we directly cover the costs of work-related injuries and illnesses. The County contracts with Eberle Vivian (EV) to evaluate and process claims. EV handles claims approval, coordinates claims with Labor and Industries and medical providers, and pays medical and/or time loss benefits. 

Although we’re self-insured, you have the same rights and responsibilities as workers covered by State industrial insurance.


Following the steps below will ensure claim and/or benefits payments are processed without delay:  

  1. Notify your supervisor immediately of your injury or illness. Your supervisor or Human Resources will provide you with a Workers' Compensation Claim packet*.
  2. Complete the Injury/Illness Incident Report and give it to your supervisor. 
  3. Complete the Patient Information section of the Provider’s Initial Report and give it to your health care provider to complete and mail to Eberle Vivian.  You may choose treatment from any health care provider authorized under Washington Industrial Insurance Laws. If you are unable to be seen by your regular physician, or do not have one, you may wish to visit an Urgent Care/Walk-In Clinic.
  4. Within 24 hours of your work-related injury or illness, complete the Self-Insurer Accident Report (SIF-2) and return this form to Human Resources.
  5. Read A Guide to Industrial Insurance Benefits pamphlet, which explains your rights and responsibilities.  

Workers' Compensation Claim packet *
Injury/Illness Incident Report
Provider’s Initial Report
Self-Insurer Accident Report (SIF-2)

If you have questions, call Julie Kelley at Eberle Vivian (800) 927-9448, extension 115.