Concealed Pistol License (CPL)

The Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office has implemented a new CPL system which now allows for online submissions of new, renewal, and replacement CPLs. If you are applying for a new/original CPL, this system will also allow you to make an appointment to have your fingerprints taken.

The WCSO is currently booked out to early 2022 for fingerprint/background check appointments for CPLs.

If you live within the city limits, you may receive faster service if you apply with that city police department (i.e., Bellingham Police Department, Ferndale Police Department, etc.).

Who is eligible for a CPL?

To apply for a CPL issued by Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office, you must be a Whatcom County resident or out-of-state resident.

Any applicant convicted of a felony is not eligible for a permit unless their rights have been restored by the appropriate court.  Other conditions that may prevent the ability to obtain a CPL are listed in RCW 9.41.070

What you must have to apply?

Applicants must provide one of the following state or federally issued photo identification:

  • A current driver’s license
  • A current Washington state identification card
  • Military identification card
  • A current passport
  • Law enforcement identification
  • Additional required documentation (if applicable):
  • Permanent resident card (green card)
  • Alien Firearms License

How to apply for a new, renewal or replacement CPL?

To apply online, click on the link below.  In person applications are not being accepted at this time due to the WA State Governor's emergency COVID proclamation.

Click below on the icon to be directed to the CPL application.

CPL-Button-2 (003)

How long will it take after I apply to receive my permit?

In accordance with RCW 9.41.070, a CPL will be issued to an eligible person residing in Whatcom County within 30 days of submitting an application. If the applicant does not have a valid Washington state driver’s license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of Washington for the previous consecutive ninety days, the CPL will be issued within 60 days of submitting an application.

How do I apply for an Alien Firearms License?

The WA State Department of Licensing has additional application information for resident aliens living in WA state and who wish to apply for a firearms license.  Click here to be redirected to their website.

How much does a CPL cost?

  • New/Original CPL - $49.25
  • Renewal CPL - $32
  • Late Renewal - $42
  • Replacement CPL - $10