News Flash

General County News

Posted on: August 18, 2022

North Whatcom County Beaches Reopened for Shellfish Harvesting

Recent testing shows that paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) biotoxin levels are now low enough to reopen north Whatcom County areas from Sandy Point to Point Roberts for shellfish harvesting. Areas south of Sandy Point remain at toxic levels and harvesting is still closed.   

 Shellfish sold in restaurants and retail markets have been tested before distribution and are safe to eat.

The Whatcom County Health Department will continue to monitor biotoxins in molluscan shellfish.  We will notify the public when there is a change in biotoxin levels that may affect public health. Keep in mind that biotoxin levels can change rapidly. Shellfish harvesters are advised to “Know Before You Dig”. Always check for current biotoxin and pollution closures at the DOH website: https://fortress.wa.gov/doh/biotoxin/biotoxin.html or call the DOH Biotoxin Hotline at 1-800-562-5632 before harvesting shellfish anywhere in Washington State.     

Algae that contain marine biotoxins cannot be seen and must be detected by laboratory testing. During a biotoxin event, mussels and varnish clams usually contain the highest toxin concentration. PSP and other naturally occurring biotoxins are not destroyed by cooking or freezing. Crab meat is not affected, but “crab butter” and crab entrails can harbor biotoxins so they should always be discarded. Molluscan shellfish include clams, mussels, oysters and scallops.  

PSP biotoxin can cause severe illness and death.  Symptoms include numbness and tingling of lips and tongue, which may begin within minutes of eating toxic shellfish or may take an hour or two to develop. Symptoms may progress to tingling of fingers and toes and then loss of control of arms and legs, followed by difficulty in breathing. Some people feel nauseous or experience a sense of floating. If a person consumes enough toxin, muscles of the chest and abdomen become paralyzed, including muscles used for breathing, and the victim can suffocate. Death from Paralytic Shellfish Poison has occurred in less than 30 minutes. 

###


Facebook Twitter Email